Saturday, February 28, 2009

John Doyle and Liz Carroll-my show and then the WHITE HOUSE

I just got off of the phone with Liz Carroll and I am so proud, happy and excited for her that I can't contain myself. I shouldn't admit this, but I just burst into tears chatting with Liz.

This is John Doyle, Anita, myself and Liz at the 2008 Cleveland Irish festival.

One of my hopes for the new presidency was that "cool" would again be the rule for cultural events at the White House. In recent years, the arts events at the home of our nation's leader have been the exact polar opposite of what I'm into (Travis Tritt? PUHLEEZE...)

Now, every year, the White House hosts a special celebration for St. Patrick's Day. This year the White House will be hosting Brian Cowen, the Taoiseach of the Republic of Ireland. Under Ireland's parliamentary system, Mr. Cowen is the leader of the government.

And the entertainers for our President and Mr. Cowen this year?

John Doyle and Liz Carroll.

Now, I realize that you might not have heard of them. (Unless you've been listening to my show, of course.) Liz is from Chicago and the child of irish immigrants. John is from Dublin but now lives in Asheville, NC. They are both brilliant musicians and composers. And cool-- really, really cool.

They are about to release a new CD from Compass records called "Double Play" I played a couple of tracks on my show last week. (Their last one was called "In Play".)

And (here's the WBGU FM part) on the day before they go to the White House, the day before St. Patrick's Day, John and Liz will be (phone) guests on my show Monday March 16 at noon, during our fund raising event. How cool is that?

Of course, I realize that our country faces much bigger issues than we've ever encountered in my lifetime. But on the cultural front, the TIDE HAS TURNED!

And don't forget, this week, Tim O'Brien (another great Irish American and friend and collaborator of John and Liz) will be on my show.

Sincerely

Earl
The New Celtic Revival
Monday Noon - 2:00 PM
WBGU FM 881
http://wbgufm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment